Amy Soucy, E-RYT 200
A yogi, seeker, movement junkie and devout student of the mind-body connection, Amy is a New York-based instructor known for her expressive and authentic approach to the art of awareness.
With extensive training in both the Integral and Anusara methods of hatha yoga, she continues to study asana, meditation and philosophy under the guidance of teachers like Elena Brower, Ellen Saltonstall, Catherine Ingram and Sally Kempton. Amy is also devoted to studying a range of movement modalities and meditation practices, such as Feldenkrais, Open Movement, and Vispassana and Mindfulness meditation.
Committed to offering accessible and transformative yoga to curious students at all levels, Amy's classes are an invitation to come as you are and explore your moment-to-moment experience through skillful physical alignment, kinesthetic awareness, and practical wisdom. A holistic blend of asana (yoga poses), breathing, restorative postures, mindfulness and meditation to guide you deeper into the framework of your being, and steer you toward calm, clarity, strength, and radiant health
She brings her experience to a diverse range of students in a variety of settings: NYC public schools, colleges, social work agencies, preschools, corporations and institutions, public parks, yoga studios and private homes.
Amy is proud to be a staff teacher with Lineage Project, which brings mindfulness programs to incarcerated and vulnerable youth throughout NYC, to help them manage stress, cultivate compassion,and find alternatives to violence. She's honored to lead and learn from the exceptional students of the schools and sites in which she teaches.
She also leads regular “homemade” yoga retreats in the Hudson Valley and a series of workshops called Visioning + Yoga for Creators (with her partner Scott Tillitt), which aims, through awareness, exploration and visioning exercises, to help “creators” (all of us) develop and nurture a thriving relationship to their own ever-unfolding process.
Youth Teaching Bio
A NYC and Hudson Valley yoga, meditation and mindfulness educator, Amy is known for her authentic, grounded, and accessible approach to teaching adults and youth.
Amy has collaborated with HealthCorps (founded by Dr. Mehmet Oz), The Equity Project Charter School, Amistad Dual Language School, and Monroe Academy for Visual Arts & Design, and Beacon's Howland Public Library to create yoga and mindfulness classes for children, wellness programs for teens, and professional development workshops for teachers.
Additionally, Amy is proud to be a staff teacher with Lineage Project, which brings mindfulness programs to vulnerable and incarcerated youth throughout NYC, helping them manage stress, build inner strength, cultivate compassion, and find alternatives to violence. She's been honored to lead and learn from the exceptional young people (and staff members) at several New York schools and sites, including Humanities Preparatory Academy, Cascades High School, Alternative Learning Center (ALC) at John Jay High School, and CASES alternative-to-incarceration programs for youth in the Bronx and Harlem.
She believes strongly in the transformative nature of these practices to nurture and encourage young people to become self-aware, empowered, engaged human beings.
- Lineage Project
- NYC Public Schools: Humanities Preparatory Academy & Cascades High School, Manhattan
- Alternate Learning Centers (ALC): John Jay HS, Brooklyn
- CASES: Alternative-to-incarceration programs for youth & adults, Bronx, Harlem
- Homes for the Homeless: Addresses the needs of children experiencing poverty and homelessness in NYC
- Amistad Dual Language School (Inwood, NYC)
- Reformed Church of Bronxville: Coming Home Prison Ministry Program (Volunteer Presenter & Collaborator)
- KIPP Academy Middle School (Bronx, NYC)
- The Equity Project Charter School (Washington Heights, NYC)
- Monroe Academy for Visual Arts & Design (Bronx, NYC)
- HealthCorps (founded by Dr. Mehmet Oz and his wife Lisa)
- YogaWorks (Upper West Side, NYC)
- Bread and Yoga (Inwood, NYC)
- MindBodySoul Yoga (Washington Heights, NYC)
- Social Venture / Institute Hudson Valley (Retreats for world-changing social entrepreneurs @ Omega Institute)
- CAP21 (Musical Theatre Conservatory & Theatre Company)
- Fordham University
- The New York Foundling (services for underserved children, families, and adults with developmental disabilities)
- Spuyten Duyvil Preschool (Bronx, NYC)
- Little Thinkers Group Family Daycare (Washington Heights, NYC)
- Journey 2 Happiness Daycare (Washington Heights, NYC)
Yoga + Mindfulness Training + Education
- Integral Yoga 200-hour Teacher Training
- Anusara Yoga 200-hour Teacher Training with Julie Dohrman (Shaktiyoga)
- Anatomy, Therapeutics & Kinetic Awareness with Ellen Saltonstall
- Mindful Schools: Mindfulness Fundamentals Course for Educators
- Vipassana Meditation: 10-day residential course @ Dhamma Dhara, MA
- Manifesting Through the Chakras / Kripalu — w/ Anodea Judith
- Anusara Grand Gathering + Anusara Immersions — w/ John Friend
- Meditation with Douglas Brooks, Harshada Wagner, Sally Kempton
Service + Social Justice-Oriented Development
- Lineage Project Intensive Teacher Training for youth at risk
- Trauma Impacts the Brain: Healing happens in Relationships / National Council for Behavioral Health — presented by Dr. Bruce Perry
- Think:Kids Collaborative Problem Solving trainings — presented Dr. Stuart Ablon
- Framing the Body-Mind: Somatic Approaches to Resolving Trauma, for Practitioners — presented by Daniel Cook
- Yoga Service Conference / Yoga Service Council @ Omega Institute — with Hala Khouri, Nikki Meyers, Kelly McGonigal, PhD, and others
Children's Yoga Certification
- Itsy Bitsy Yoga facilitator certification (for toddlers and their caregivers)
- YogaKids with Marsha Wenig